I always like to look at role models – people who have achieved their goals with great success. There are few things more thrilling than watching great performances. It's inspiring! That's why I love watching the Olympics. There's something to be learned by evaluating the qualities that make Olympic medalists.
When you're watching the games, you can see not just peak performances but also the winning mindset of these athletes. There are few careers more demanding than being an Olympic athlete but being an actor who succeeds over incredible odds to star in major films and TV series might be one of them.
How do you compare to an gold medal winner? Do you have a winning mindset?
Here are qualities that give athletes the ability to win!
1. They LOVE what they do. You can see the joy in every moment they are competing. They didn't enter the race for the sake of the medal. They entered because they love to compete and do the best they can with their unique talent. They're having FUN!
2.The BELIEVE in themselves. They are confident that they can get to the podium, and they talk about their skill and desire to win very naturally.
3. They have the FOCUS and the ABILITY to follow through. Even if it takes years of practice, setbacks, and injuries, they never lose sight of their goal. It may take years with one setback but they're back four years later!
4. They do VISUALIZATIONS. Most Olympians talk about how they visualized themselves being exactly where they are now, and those visualizations started when they were very young. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and could see it clearly.
5. They have incredible DISCIPLINE and WILLPOWER. No matter what the weather, the season, or their physical condition, they persist in a strict and consistent schedule of training both physically and mentally. No excuses!
6. They are CREATIVE and UNIQUE. They have the courage to do things their way. They break records because they are in tune with their own bodies and spirit.
7. They are HUMBLE and value SIMPLICITY. They are not complicated as people. Life is about achieving their goal and not allowing anything to get in their way: habits, diet, finances, relationships, etc. Everything is put in perspective for the higher goal. You don't frequently see "ego trips" or "trauma dramas" because there simply isn't time in their life for such things.
So, do you have an Olympic mindset?
As the founder and executive director of The Actors' Market, Gwyn Gilliss provides free monthly info seminars, agent/casting director interview tele-seminars, weekly marketing tips, as well as many coaching programs to help actors break into both the NY and L.A. industries. Gwyn has tremendous success with her private career coaching clients. More than 90 percent get agent representation launching their careers with performances in feature films, Broadway productions, and Emmy-award-winning primetime TV series, such as "The Good Wife," "White Collar," "Grey's Anatomy," "NCIS," "House," "Law & Order," "30 Rock," "Criminal Minds."
Email her to request a free 15-minute career session: email@example.com.