This listing has expired.
Seeking submissions for The Thespis Theater Festival, a playwright’s contest designed to offer writers a chance to direct their own, never-before-seen shows, helping them to develop a sense of casting, staging, use of lights and direction. With Thespis, it is our intention to give writers a unique chance to create their vision from the first stroke of their pen to the last scene of their play. Thespis is not only a festival; it’s a competition as well. Thespis, as well as our wintertime festival, Venus, is hosted by the CabriniRepTheater.com, a beautiful, 200-seat proscenium theater in uptown Manhattan.
Rehearsal and Production Dates & Locations
The Thespis Festival will run from June 15 to August 31st.
Compensation & Union Contract Details
The winner of Best Play will receive a prize of $3,500. Winner of Best Actor will receive $500. No entrance fees required, but accepted plays will be required to pay a potentially refundable fee.
I have worked in a variety of NYC festivals and I have never worked with a more accommodating venue than Cabrini Repertory Theater. As artists we were given the support we needed to put on a well-polished production. I would highly recommend Thespis Theater Festival to artists of all ages.
Madeleine Rose Parsigiam – Director of "Cal and Grey"
• Shows will be not be packed into a cramped festival schedule, one week day at 9pm and two on weekends for each show.
• Musical playing life music are more then welcome, we offer a large area in front of the stage for the orchestra to play. The stage is 4' elevated from the floor level
• Your play will be the only one that performs on your scheduled nights, so no rushing your production on and off the stage.
• Five-hour tech/dress rehearsal (as opposed to getting just double your show’s run time)
• Professional, easy-to-use lighting/sound system that anyone on your cast can learn to use
• Free lessons in how to use the system
• Free venue director from the Cabrini Repertory Theater team–you won’t have to hire an outsider.
• Constant contact with the Artistic Director of the venue should you have any questions about staging, lighting, sound or theater rules. You will never be forced to wait on answers, causing your production process to be held up.
• A strong, effective and aesthetically beautiful ad campaign run in the theater’s neighborhood, which means access to audience members in the surrounding area
• Email blasts announcing your show to the theater’s mailing list
• Set pieces and props that are already stored in the theater, saving you time, energy and money in transporting stage sets
• Storage space for your own props and set pieces should you decide to keep them in the theater during your show’s run
• The possibility to drive your props to the front door of the theater and temporarily park your vehicle there
• Free box office management
• A beautiful 21' by 16' proscenium stage 12” high
Every show in the festival will be performed in the Cabrini Repertory Theater—no outside venues will be rented.
• All festival participants can see all other festival shows for free.
• The possibility to be covered by reviewers
• A $3,500 prize for Best Play and $500 for Best Actor, and an exciting Prize Ceremony
What the Theater Offers
For those playwrights who want to incorporate live music into their play, Cabrini Rep offers a fully-tuned baby grand piano.
We also offer a large projection system that projects on the back wall of the stage 17’ x 12.
The projector can create a wide range of possibilities for your set.
The Thespis Theater Festival in uptown Manhattan is designed to help new playwrights show their work in a professional and friendly environment.