The deal means that for the first time, music video performers and choreographers will have nationwide guarantees for health and retirement benefits as well as guaranteed fair pay, safe working conditions, and reuse fees.
SAG-AFTRA reached the three-year deal with Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group, EMI Music, and The Walt Disney Co. early on June 1 following two days of formal negotiations in Los Angeles.
Newly installed SAG-AFTRA National Executive Director David White called the agreement "historic."
"Our negotiations were productive, resulting in solid gains for SAG-AFTRA members," White said in a statement. "We also laid the groundwork for a cooperative partnership with the industry that will benefit members throughout the term of the agreement.”
Universal Music Group CEO Lucian Grainge said the labels were "grateful" for their partnership with SAG-AFTRA.
“This agreement not only reflects that relationship, but is testament to the vision that we share with David and [SAG-AFTRA Assistant National Executive Director of Sound Recordings Randall Himes] in working together to meet the many new challenges facing the music industry,” said Grainge.
Dancer Galen Hooks, who was part of the negotiating committee, said the agreement was "revolutionary for the dance community."
Negotiations originally started between AFTRA and the labels' representatives last June. It’s the first major contract negotiated since the union merger earlier this year. The tentative agreement still has to go to SAG-AFTRA's national board for approval.














