FIND AMAZING TALENT:
You can post a listing with Backstage to call for cast and crew for your film, theater, webseries, music, dance, comedy, modeling, commercial, and performing arts projects and events. Look for new talent to represent. Hire actors, writers, staff, and interns. Find collaborators. And more!
- Backstage reaches over 1 million performers (actors, singers, dancers, comedians, and more) and entertainment-industry professionals and enthusiasts every month.
- Your casting calls and job postings appear on Backstage.com instantly, so you can cast super-fast.
- Search through more than 40,000 actor profiles for free to find the right talent for all of your projects.
GET STARTED WITH THESE
6 POPULAR OPTIONS:
- POST A JOB: Publicize auditions and call for cast and crew, actors, singers, dancers, models, comedians, musicians, writers, theater & film performers, staff/tech, and more.
- Manage Your Casting Notices: Quickly update your posts 24/7. Add script sides & media. Post a Job promoting casting workshops* and open-mike nights; find volunteers and interns; cast reality shows; and call for entries to film festivals and talent competitions.
- Find Talent: Search the Talent Database of over 40,000 media-enhanced profiles.
- Check Your Submissions Inbox: Organize and reply to the applications you receive.
- Create a Profile: Showcase your (and your company's) credits and video clips of your work.
- Visit Call Sheet: Find agents, managers, casting directors & production companies.
ULTIMATE POSTING GUIDE:
- PRODUCTION DETAILS: Enter your project's title, category, description, location, and contract details. Add your company's name and relevant staff list. Choose when your listing should expire. And make your listing stand out by attaching media assets (script sides, a company logo, video reels, etc.).
- AUDITION & SUBMISSION DETAILS: Enter the cities and states you're looking for applicants from or call for submissions nationwide. Place your email address in the "Notify" email box and choose a notification frequency: Your email address will be hidden to protect you from spammers, but you can still choose to have submissions securely emailed to you via Backstage as either individual applications or convenient digests.
Use the "Special Instructions" box to list alternate submission methods (such as snail mail); link to your company's website; and describe your project's submission requirements or provide audition instructions.
Switch to the "I'm scheduling auditions" interface to announce specific audition dates and locations (including open calls or by-appointment calls), and Backstage will automatically generate map and calendar links for your listing, and your casting call will be included in additional audition-based search results.
- ROLE DESCRIPTIONS: Enter a Role Name for each position you're hiring for. This can be a specific character name like "Peter Venkman," or a general term like Actors, Singers, Dancers, Interns, Writer, etc. Use the gender, age, and ethnicity options to correctly tag the role for enhanced discoverability. And then fill in the Role Description to describe the character you're casting or job you're hiring for.
You can also set Submission Requirements to limit your response to only applicants that have photos, video, or audio assets on their profiles; this will dramatically limit the response, so we recommend starting out by only choosing Photos (you'll still get to see video and audio reels anyway, when the talent has those assets available). We automatically set the most popular options for you as defaults!
- CHECKOUT: On this tab you can review the pricing and enhance your post with additional options, such as Extra Categories. Enter your discount code in the Promotion Code box.
- CONFIRMATION: Here you get a nice overview of all the info you've entered, and you can easily Edit all of your listing's details if you need to make any updates or corrections. Once you're satisfied, click the "Submit Order" button and your listing will appear instantly on Backstage.com; you'll get to see your posting in full (the way everyone else will see it); and you'll be presented with options for sharing your post with your social networks.
- MANAGE YOUR SUBMISSIONS: All applications will be automatically organized for you, grouped by Production and Role Name, so you can easily focus on reviewing submissions for each individual role. Star the applicants you like. Remove the applicants you don't like. Quickly filter out irrelevant submissions. And easily respond to applicants individually or in bulk.
ADD SCRIPT SIDES & MEDIA ASSETS:
Get more attention and attract better talent by including media assets with your casting calls:
- Easily embed YouTube and Vimeo videos with your calls for cast & crew — showcasing your demo reel, past works, or a trailer or pitch video explaining your current project.
- Quickly attach script sides, story treatments, full screenplays, extended character breakdowns, photo references, promotional flyers, your company logo, and more.
- You can also enhance your free Backstage Profile with videos, audio clips, and photos.
10 TIPS FOR ADDING ROLES
TO YOUR LISTINGS:
- When you're posting a job or casting call, step #3 lets you add one or more Roles.
- The first field is the Role Label. This can be the name of a Specific Character (e.g., "Romeo"), or the Job Title of the position (e.g., "Dancer" or "Stage Manager").
- You'll get the best results if you take the time to enter individual Roles (add a specific Role for each character or job position), creating a full character breakdown. This also activates automatic role-based labels on submissions, as well as easier sorting of applicants.
- However, if you're in a hurry, you can very quickly just enter a general catch-all Role Label (e.g., "Actors" or "All Roles" or "Crew") instead of individual roles.
- After typing in a Role Label, you can define the Role by choosing a Role Type (e.g., Lead, Supporting, or Extra). Choose "N/A" if none of the Role Types are right for you.
- Then you can choose whether or not the role requires nudity, and the gender, age-range, and ethnicity of the role(s). Some good defaults (such as "All Ethnicities") are chosen for you automatically, but you can easily adjust the settings to fit your needs.
- If you don't want to display an upper age-limit, then simply pull the age-slider all the way to the right. Any ages above 99 will display as a simple "+" on your published listing (e.g., "ages 18+").
- In the Role Description box, you can fill in a full character description or job requirements.
- The "Submissions Require" options allow you to limit submissions to just applicants that have Photos, Video Reels, and/or Audio Reels available. We recommend starting out by only requiring a Photo, because the Video and Audio requirements can dramatically reduce the number of responses you'll receive. Usually, you'll want to receive a lot of submissions so you'll have a lot of candidates to choose from. However, if you're getting too many unqualified applicants, then you can limit the submissions by adding Video and Audio requirements.
- You can also attach additional media items of your own to each role (such as script sides, extended character notes, and photo and video references). Simply click "Save & Add Another Role" to keep adding roles, and then click "Save & Checkout" when you're done.
POPULAR POSTING ENHANCEMENTS:
You can use Backstage to find actors, singers, dancers, models, musicians, comedians, stunt performers, cabaret acts, mimes, clowns, variety performers, voiceover artists, triple-threats, students, teachers, staff, crew, and so much more.
Post a call for talent to get started. Need an extra boost? Try one of the premium posting upgrades below!
- Featured Listing: This deluxe VIP option ensures that your posting is marked as an expanded and featured item in search results, while also bringing your listing ongoing exposure as it'll be automatically highlighted in the Featured Casting sidebar module, in rotation with other featured listings, thousands of times across various pages of the site.
- Print Spotlight: Your listing will be included in Backstage's print-publication and digital-edition magazines and also appear as a special spotlight item in online search results. Click here to view a free sample copy of Backtage Magazine.
- Extra Categories: You can choose a primary "production type" category as the first step when creating a job posting. Then, during the checkout process you can choose up to two additional categories, doubling or tripling the number of search results your listing appears in.
Example: If you're seeking cast and crew for a movie that involves some dance scenes, choose Feature Films as your primary casting category, and then choose Dancers & Choreographers and Film & TV Crew as your secondary categories.
INCLUDE YOUR LISTINGS IN
You can reach an even wider audience for your projects by choosing the "Print Spotlight" option when posting your casting calls. WIth Print Spotlight you get:
- Your casting notice included in Backstage's award-winning full-color magazine.
- Backstage Magazine is mailed to thousands of actors and is distributed to hundreds of bookstores, newstands, schools, and libraries across the U.S.
- Backstage Magazine is also published as a PDF Digitial Edition, emailed to over 30,000 additional actors. Click here to view a free sample issue.
- Print Spotlight job postings are also given extra attention on Backstage.com, highlighted with a special Spotlight tag and star.
3 TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR
You can access all of your Draft, Current, and Expired casting notices on Backstage.com by visiting your My Posted Jobs page. From there, you can quickly view, edit, and update your postings.
- If you started posting a listing but didn't complete the post, don't worry — we've automatically saved your info for you as an Open Draft, so you can pick up right where you left off.
- If you successfully posted a casting notice but it's expired, you can extend the listing for free by editing your Expired Calls.
- Old casting notices may receive a very limited response. To get more submissions, post a new casting call or click the "Clone This Job" option next to any of your past or current postings. Cloning lets you quickly post updated versions of your old listings as brand-new items, attracting a whole new round of submissions.
YOUR SUBMISSIONS INBOX —
8 TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
- From within your Submissions Inbox, you can choose exactly which Casting Notice, Production, and Role you'd like to see applications for. This lets you easily focus on casting specific roles.
- Using the filters on the right side of the page, you can quickly drill down the list of applicants by gender, age range, union status, location, ethnicity, keywords, and media assets. (Example: You can instantly filter out applicants who don't have a video reel available, and/or filter out applicants that are located in the wrong state.)
- Click the "Filter Results: Clear All" option to clear the filters and see all of the actors that have applied for the role.
- Click the star on any submission to save it to your list of favorite applicants for the role. Click the X to remove the actor from the list of applicants.
- If the actor included photos, video reels, audio samples, or a cover letter with their submission, you'll see media icons below their main photo, giving you immediate access to their materials.
- Hover over an applicant's photo and a Contact option will appear so you can send the actor a message.
- Click on the applicant's name or photo to view their full profile.
- Click the "Email All" button at the top of the page to send a message to all of the applicants for a role. This bulk-contact option is a huge time-saver whenever you need to contact a lot of actors at once!
SEARCH FOR ACTORS
IN THE TALENT DATABASE:
- Quickly filter through over 40,000 actors, models, and performers by gender, age-range, ethnicity, location, union status, keyword, and more.
- Click actors' names or photos to view their full profiles, including their resumes, credits, skills, photos, video reels, and audio clips.
- Click the "star" icon to save your favorite profiles. Or click "Contact" to send a message. You can create a profile for yourself too!
- Once you've posted an approved job, casting notice, or audition, you can contact up to 50 actors an hour via the Talent Database — and respond to an unlimited number of applicants from within your Submissions Inbox.
We look forward to helping you find amazing talent for all of your productions.
* Note: Backstage reserves the right to edit, format, rewrite, reject, approve, expire, and/or categorize postings at its own discretion. Additional restrictions and regulations apply for workshop/educational/advertorial listings. Backstage does not accept listings for pornographic or offensive content. The Talent Database can only be used to contact Backstage's users about legitimate auditions, interview requests, representation opportunities, job offers, and performance opportunities. The Talent Database cannot be used to market products or services. Inappropriate use of Backstage's contact-system will result in the offending account being deactivated. Additional restrictions may apply, and Backstage reserves the right to alter its terms of service and restrict accounts at its own discretion. For additional assistance, visit the Backstage FAQ.