There are countless songs available for kids and teens to choose from for an audition. Following is a shortlist of possibilities specifically targeted at boys under 12 years old. These audition songs for boys will not only showcase your child actor’s voice, but allow them to tell a story. We've included the song titles, shows, and tempos to help you and your kid choose the best option for your next audition. You can find additional song lists for teen actors—plus audition tips based on my time auditioning child and teen actors for shows including “The Sound of Music” and “Peter Pan”—here.
- “A Letter from Charlie Bucket” from “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” (ballad)
- “Bigger Isn’t Better” from “Barnum” (uptempo)
- “Electricity” from “Billy Elliot” (ballad)
- “Happiness” from “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” (ballad)
- “I Won’t Grow Up” from “Peter Pan” (uptempo)
- “If Only You Would Listen” from “School of Rock” (uptempo)
- “In the Big Blue World” from “Finding Nemo” (uptempo)
- “It’s Possible” from “Seussical” (uptempo)
- “Neat to Be a Newsboy” from “Working” (uptempo)
- “Red Ryder Carbine Action BB Gun” from “A Christmas Story” (uptempo)
- “What If” and “The Addams Family” (ballad)
- “When I Grow Up” from “Matilda” (ballad)
READ: Audition Songs for Kids
Ready to get to work? Check out Backstage’s musicals audition listings!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Backstage team and/or a Backstage Expert. If you purchase items through these links, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partner.