We tend to use New Year’s resolutions as an opportunity to finally commit to living the life we want. As an actor, you are already doing that. The entertainment industry may seem like a glamorous place where dreams come true, but in reality it is one of the toughest industries for a professional. Rejection is hard in any capacity—especially if you are in a profession as personal as acting. It can be difficult to accept setbacks in a career when they seem like setbacks in a dream.
While you may not be able to change a director or casting director’s decision, you can change the way you look at these situations and how you approach future ones. Writing and reciting daily affirmations (short powerful positive statements) can truly change your outlook on yourself and your life. Instead of resolving to make yourself immune to failure, start off this new year by reflecting on why you’re pursing your passion as you celebrate yourself. Here are some affirmations you can say to yourself to get you thinking as you begin to manifest what you desire in your acting career and life.
- I make my own happiness.
- I create my own work.
- I am unique. I feel good about being me.
- I have a great memory and learn lines with ease.
- Great roles are finding me.
- I attract roles that take my career to the next level.
- Each audition I have is an opportunity for success.
- I know exactly what to do to achieve success.
- Every person I meet has a lesson to teach me.
- My rep is my teammate and here for my success.
- My fellow actors are not enemies, but fellow artists on a journey.
- My light does not dim when someone else’s shines bright.
- The jobs I book are a confirmation of my dream.
- I have the power to attract money and my income is getting higher.
- I look to my role models for guidance and reassurance.
- Every performance is an opportunity to show the world my passion.
- I am constantly evolving to become a better me.
- I am healthy and full of confidence.
- I am grounded in the experience of present moment.
- I am on this journey to live my dream.
Navigating the entertainment industry requires a deep sense of self-confidence and a bit of thick skin. Sometimes, it seems easier to give into your doubts and settle for a job that brings stability but lacks fulfillment. As an artist, you have made the bold decision to live for your passion. It is up to you to make your own work and enable your own success. This year, ditch the New Year’s resolutions and make it your mission to empower yourself on a daily basis. These tiny pieces of positivity are here for you whether you have found success or are waiting for your next big break. In this new year, honor yourself. I’d love to hear what affirmations work for you. Remember, stay positive and present.
Master your craft, empower yourself, and enjoy the journey.
Like this advice? Check out more from Denise Simon:
The views expressed in this article are solely that of the individual(s) providing them,
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Backstage or its staff.