Awards season brings with it a lot of conventions (biopics, overcoming personal struggles, epic storytelling) but also a lot of surprises. And this year saw more than its share of the latter. We dug deeper with eight actors about what went into their star turns this year, whether it was improvising a biopic or creating an extensive backstory. These men and women make it look easy, but as you’ll see after reading their stories, these performances were anything but.
From Benedict Cumberbatch in “The Imitation Game” to Ben Affleck in “Gone Girl” and beyond, check out these great eight leading men and women.
- Jenny Slate on Sincerity and Standup in ‘Obvious Child’
- 6 Ways Felicity Jones Prepared to Play Jane Wilde
- Marion Cotillard on How to Cry at a Moment’s Notice
- Michelle Monaghan Goes Army in ‘Fort Bliss’
- Gael García Bernal Goes It Alone in ‘Rosewater’
- Timothy Spall Improvises ‘Mr. Turner’ to Life
- How Benedict Cumberbatch Became Alan Turing
- Ben Affleck on the ‘Psychological Mud’ of ‘Gone Girl’
Inspired by this post? Check out our film audition listings!