With the 25th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards coming up Jan. 27, there are 28 local chapters of SAG-AFTRA hosting viewing parties for regional constituencies to join in the fun. While some of these events are members-only, others are open to the public at large—however, spots are limited so RSVPs must be made, in some cases soon!
The SAG Awards are the union’s most notable event, a significant cultural event for a pop-obsessed public as well as the biggest night of awards season celebrating actors and decided upon by actors. The annual awards show, broadcasted live, helps increase the union’s recognition and notoriety in a way that few other American labor unions could achieve. In 2018, 2.8 million Americans tuned into the 24th annual telecast.
Roughly 160,000 union members live nationwide, and with increasing battles between states to entice filmmaking to their backyard through tax credits, traditional union strongholds like Los Angeles and New York City have been diluted, and many union screen actors call the nation’s other regions home.
This year’s ceremony, celebrating 25 years of the SAG Awards, is poised to be an exciting one with Megan Mullally hosting and Alan Alda receiving the prestigious SAG Life Achievement Award.
Below, Backstage gives you all of the details on each regional viewing party. With the Jan. 27 show being televised on TNT and TBS at 8 P.M. on the East Coast and 5 P.M. on the West Coast, RSVP deadlines are fast approaching for these satellite celebrations around the country. In Los Angeles, the party will be happening at the Alex Theatre in Glendale with 4 P.M. red carpet and 5 P.M. viewing; attendance for members and a plus one is free with registration online.
To attend your local SAG–led watch party, check out the list here and below:
- Atlanta, Georgia: Hudson Grille Midtown, 6:30-10:30 P.M., dressy casual, $25 with buffet and soft drinks included. RSVP by Jan. 21 with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Austin, Texas: The Highball, Austin, 6:00-7:00 P.M., “Texas Chic,” $15 for members, $25 for the general public. RSVP with email@example.com.
- Boston, Massachusetts: Laugh Boston, Westin Waterfront Hotel, 7:00 P.M., “festive attire,” $20 for members in advance (at-the-door rates vary). To RSVP, click here.
- Chicago, Illinois: Davis Theater/Carbon Arc Bard and Board, 5:00 P.M. mixer, 7:00 P.M. show, cocktail attire, free to members, $15 for guests (max two guests per member). RSVP by Jan. 18 with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cleveland, Ohio: Shula’s 2 Steaks and Sports DoubleTree by Hilton in Independence, 7:30-10:00 P.M., casual, free, RSVP with email@example.com.
- Columbus, Ohio: The Torpedo Room, Gateway Film Center, 7:30-8:30 P.M. appetizers, 8:00-10:00 P.M. show, free-of-charge, RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dallas, Texas: Alamo Drafthouse (Irving), 6:00-7:00 P.M. red carpet, 7:00-9:00, show, “Texas chic,” $15 for members, $25 for the general public. RSVP with email@example.com.
- Denver, Colorado: Cap City Tavern, 1247 Bannock St., (free street and lot parking) 6:00 P.M. show, 8:00 P.M. dessert and contest winners, “Colorado formal: whatever strikes your fancy,” $11 for members, $16 for non-members and guests (at-the-door rates vary). RSVP before Jan. 21 by clicking here.
- Fairfax, Virginia: Angelika Film Center at the Mosaic District, 7:00 P.M. mixer, 8:00 P.M. show, casual attire, free-of-charge. RSVP by Jan. 25 with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Houston, Texas: Studio Movie Grill, 6:00-7:00 P.M. red carpet, 7:00 - 9:00 P.M., “Texas chic,” $15 for members, $25 for the general public. RSVP with email@example.com.
- Kaneohe, Hawaiʻi: 1:00-5:00 P.M., cocktail attire, $13 for members, $15 for guests (at-the-door rates vary). RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kansas City, Missouri: The Granfalloon Restaurant and Bar at the Plaza, doors open at 6:30 P.M., casual attire, no charge. RSVP by Jan. 21 with email@example.com.
- Las Vegas, Nevada: Tommy Rocker’s Mojave Beach Bar and Grill, 4:00 P.M. mixer, 5:00 P.M. show, 7:00 P.M. cake service and prize drawing, “Las Vegas upscale casual,” free to members age 21 and up—plus guest. RSVP by Jan. 23 with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Miami, Florida: Dave and Buster’s (Hollywood, FL), 6:30 P.M. red carpet, 7:00 P.M. mixer and dinner, 8:00 P.M. show, casual chic attire, $20 for members, $30 for guests. RSVP by Jan. 25 with email@example.com.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota: Market Bar-B-Que, 6:00 P.M., cocktail attire encouraged, free-of-charge. RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nashville, Tennessee: Country Music Association, 6:00 P.M. mixer, 7:00 P.M. show, casual attire, free-of-charge. RSVP by Jan. 18 with email@example.com.
- Orlando, Florida: Dave and Buster’s, 7:00 P.M. mixer, 8:00 p.m show, “upscale casual,” $15 for members, $20 for guests (at-the-door rates vary). RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Southampton Room, 6:00 P.M., black-tie optional, party attire, $25 for members and guest (no at-the-door purchases accepted). To RSVP, click here before Jan. 21.
- Phoenix, Arizona: Gallagher's Sports Grill, 5:30 P.M. check-in, 6:00 P.M. show, casual attire, free-of-charge. RSVP with email@example.com.
- Pittsburg, Pennsylvania: Olive or Twist Second Floor Lounge, 7:30 P.M., casual attire, free-of-charge. RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portland, Oregon: The Lake Theatre, 4:00 P.M. doors, 5:00 P.M. show, “Northwest festive,” free for members, $10 for the general public. RSVP by Jan. 25 with email@example.com.
- Royal Oak, Michigan: Emagine Theater, 7:00 P.M., no attire requirements—though, cocktail attire encouraged, free-of-charge. RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- San Diego, California: Bully's East Restaurant, 4:00 P.M. doors, 5:00 P.M. show, “San Diego upscale casual,” free to active members over 21 years old. RSVP by Jan. 20 with email@example.com.
- San Francisco, California: Delancey Street Foundation, doors, 5:00 P.M. show, “festive attire,” free for members, $20 for guests. To RSVP, click here by Jan. 20.
- Seattle, Washington: North Star Diner Shanghai Room, 4:00 P.M. doors, 5:00 P.M. show, Northwest festive, free for members, $10 for guests. RSVP by Jan. 25 with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Louis, Missouri: The Nano Pub, 6:30 P.M., casual attire, free-of-charge. RSVP by Jan. 20 with email@example.com.
Check out Backstage’s TV audition listings!