There are literally thousands of songs available for kids and teens to choose from for an audition. Following is a shortlist of possibilities specifically targeted at girls under 12 years old. These audition songs for girls will not only showcase your child actor’s voice, but allow them to tell a story. We've included the song titles, shows, and tempos to help you and your kid choose the best option for your next audition. You can find additional song lists for teen actors—plus audition tips based on my time auditioning child and teen actors for shows including “The Sound of Music” and “Peter Pan”—here.
- “Born to Entertain” from “Ruthless” (uptempo)
- “Good Girl Winnie Foster” from “Tuck Everlasting” (uptempo)
- “Home” from “Wonderland” (ballad)
- “I Always Knew” from “Annie Warbucks” (uptempo)
- “I Want It Now” from “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” (uptempo)
- “If Only You Would Listen” from “School of Rock” (ballad)
- “Quiet” from “Matilda” (ballad)
- “Sing Your Own Song” from “Dear Edwina” (ballad)
- “Six Hours as a Princess” and “A Child’s Letters to God” (ballad)
- “The Girl I Mean to Be” from “The Secret Garden” (ballad)
- “What It Means to Be a Friend” from “13 the Musical” (uptempo)
- “Writing Down the Story of My Life” from “Junie B. Jones” (ballad)
READ: Audition Songs for Kids
Ready to get to work? Check out Backstage’s musicals audition listings!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Backstage team and/or a Backstage Expert. If you purchase items through these links, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partner.